NABERS is a national rating system that measures the environmental performance of Australian buildings, tenancies and homes. Put simply, NABERS measures the energy efficiency, water usage, waste management and indoor environment quality of a building or tenancy and its impact on the environment.
It does this by using measured and verified performance information, such as utility bills, and converting them into an easy to understand star rating scale from one to six stars. For example, a 6 star rating demonstrates market-leading performance, while a 1 star rating means the building or tenancy has considerable scope for improvement.
NABERS for Offices
NABERS ratings for offices can be used to measure the performance of a tenancy, the base building or the whole building:
- The tenancy rating includes only the energy or resources that the tenant controls.
- A base building rating covers the performance of the building's central services and common areas, which are usually managed by the building owner.
- A whole building rating covers both the tenanted spaces and the base building, and is typically used in an owner-occupied building, or where there is inadequate metering to obtain a base building or tenancy rating.
Program using NABERS: Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) Program
The Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) Program is an initiative of the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) and was established by the Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010 managed by the Australian Government Department of Industry.
The CBD Program requires most sellers and lessors of Office buildings or tenancies with more than 2000 m2 of net lettable area, advertised for sale or lease, must disclose a BEEC (Building Energy Efficiency Certificate).
The BEECs valid for 12 months and consist of:
- NABERS rating
- Tenancy Lighting Assessment
- General energy efficiency guidance
Energy Action has contributed significantly to the changing shape of the Australian property market in the past decade. Dr Paul Bannister, who leads Energy Action’s Project and Advisory Services, was the original technical developer of the Australian Building Greenhouse Rating system, which became NABERS Office Energy in 2008.
Energy Action’s team has since been involved in developing:
- NABERS Water for Offices,
- NABERS Energy and Water for Hotels
- NABERS Energy and Water for Shopping Centres
- NABERS Energy for Data Centres
- Currently working on a NABERS energy rating for NSW Hospitals.
- NABERS Energy and Water for New Zealand
Energy Action has the country’s highest concentration of NABERS expertise, including
- 2 members on the NABERS Independent Energy Efficiency Design Review Panel;
- 3 NABERS Auditors (whose role and responsibility is to police quality control for NABERS ratings) and;
- 15 NABERS Accredited Assessors.
These factors combine to make Energy Action one of the largest providers of NABERS rating in the country. Energy Action conducts NABERS and CBD assessments across large property portfolios. We have the experience, skills and systems to handle large numbers of ratings in tight timeframes to ensure that your building or portfolio can keep its ratings up to date.
Energy Action has the largest pool of expertise in NABERS skills in the country, including a substantial team of NABERS Accredited Assessors, NABERS Auditors and Trainers.
We conducted over 150 NABERS ratings each year and we have the expertise and experience to assist you through your NABERS assessments, whether it is one site or a large portfolio we can keep your ratings up to date.
Find out more and get in touch with us today!